Front Porch Friday

Life's been a bit of a whirlwind for the past few weeks. The girls finished the school year and my husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary with a trip to Hawaii. So I guess you could say it's been a little busy around here. But back to the blog...it's Front Porch Friday, and if you've come over from The Little Blue House blog, welcome!

Today I'm going to share some details on how I created this layout with the Sew Artsy Kit from Front Porch Kits:


My Granny is a quilter. I have memories of the back bedroom of her house being completely overtaken by a quilt frame for months at a time. But my favorite part was always the piecing. She'd let me help her by gathering together pieces of fabric for the blocks and securing them with a pin.

When I got my Sew Artsy Kit, I was reminded of all those vintage fabrics Granny used. So I decided to create my own quilt-pieced background.

I'd been pinning some quilting patterns on a Pinterest board, and I found this one that I thought would be easy and fun to recreate.

Source: http://www.honeybearlane.com/2011/08/pinterest-inspired-project-pinwheel-quilt.html



I started by cutting the fabric into squares. Then I folded each square in half and cut down the middle to create two triangles.

Then I placed the triangles side by side (alternating the fabrics) to create a square "pinwheel" piecing and adhered it to a piece of cardstock. Those "blocks" became the background for the left side of the layout.



It was a fun way to incorporate fabric and the idea of quilting into my layout.

If you haven't snagged a Sew Artsy kit yet, better hurry! Last I heard there were only a few left and I bet they will sell out in the next few days. And I know you'll find some fun ways to use it!

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this layout! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment