New perspectives

This weekend has been a bit of an adventure. Our upstairs air-conditioning went out -- conveniently during some of the hottest days of the summer -- and I couldn't stand to be in my scrap room for the two days until it got fixed. It forced me to watch movies that were sitting on my DVR for way too long and check out some new message boards to talk about (what else?) scrapbooking.

Another adventure was turning the camera on myself. As I was flipping through old scrapbooks, I realized that there are only a handful of pages with photos of me. It's not because I don't have anything to say. It's mostly that I'm on the wrong side of the camera all the time. So I fixed that:



I used one of the kits from Paper Poppy (I think it was the July one) and based it roughly on the sketch from their blog this month. Want some detail shots?

The flower was made from a doily (which I smushed a bit in the center to turn it into a flower). Then I topped with a ribbon flower, a little patterned paper, some baker's twine and a button.

The journaling includes several truths about me -- some well-known and some that I try to keep under wraps. But journaling is all about honesty, right?

Admittedly, there's a lot going on in that layout. When I stepped back and looked at the finished product, it occurred to me that I've veered off from the simpler style I used to have. So I challenged myself to create a layout in 15 minutes or less, and here's what I came up with:


Same kit, totally different look. And it took less than 15 minutes. Yes, I can still do "simple." But the great thing is that I have options.

Options are good.

4 comments:

Aphra Bolyer said...

LOVE both of these Robyn! Your layered doilie flower on the first one is precious, and i love the simplicity of the second one. 15 minutes? Amazing. I need to try that. :) Thanks for playing along.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love your idea of taking your own photos and making a page about yourself! I need to do this! I am also the one who is never in the pictures because I am always behind the camera.

Oh, and I love both your pages too!

mustangkayla said...

I love the flower and layered chipboard flowers on your first layout! Great take on the sketch!

mustangkayla said...

What great pictures! Looks like everyone had a blast!

Post a Comment